- Take these ideas…please
- SinglesMob: An app for turning parties into mixers
- NameRater: A search tool for evaluating a possible name change
- Rain swag for the farmers market
- Butt-crack mural: Rethinking self-judgement
- YouDrawIt: The shopping engine that lets you drive
- 12-Step Social Media Scanner & Intervention Bot
- The Genzlingerizer: An app to enhance offline reading (and an IFTTT workaround)
- Blackout ribbon: Avoiding grim news and spoilers
- ShoeCamp: An (imaginary) unconference for the footwear-obsessed
- ClickCentral: a web app for tracking clicks on all tweeted links
- Unstoppable Timer: mobile app wanted
- Talk back to Vancouver’s rain on Twitter
- Hanger card: How to have sex in the shower
- Signal social sharing permissions with stickers and buttons
- Wouldn’t it be awesome if we had this site or hashtag?
- Genius grants for inspired groups of collaborators
- App: Running late
- Magic browser plugin for retroactive logins across open tabs
This post is part of an experiment: for one month, I am giving away all my ideas.
Today I was browsing recipes on Epicurious, opening recipes in tabs as I found them. Once I decided to save a recipe to my recipe box, I had to login to the site, at which point I was able to save…from within that tab. To save each of the other recipes I had opened in other tabs, I had to reload each tab, one by one, so that when it reloaded, it knew I was already logged in.
This is a common problem for a tab abuser like me: I often have multiple open tabs that have to be reloaded so that my site login can disseminate across all my open tabs. The smart thing to do would be to just remember to login before opening all those tabs, but apparently I’m not that smart.
I do understand the underlying technical obstacle that prevents an already-loaded tab from recognizing a login that occurs after loading. But I do wonder whether some clever coder out there could come up with a workaround. Maybe a browser plugin that notices when you are logging into a site, and automatically refreshes any open tabs that are pointed to the same site? (So that by the time you switch over to those tabs, they are already refreshed and logged in.) Better yet, is there conceivably some server-side solution — some Ajax-y magic that could periodically poll the mother ship for logged in status? (Hard for me to imagine how that would work, but I’m way beyond my actual tech skill level here.)
If we tab abusers are a small crowd, this is not a problem worth solving. But my hunch is that I’m not alone in experiencing this recurring source of irritation. Does it bug you, too?First posted on July 7,2012