Are you a smart, curious person who loves social media—and hates stray apostrophes? Then you could be the right person for an interesting social media support role; one that has the potential to transform your career path.
I’m a speaker, author and journalist, a regular contributor to The Wall Street Journal and the Harvard Business Review, and co-author of the book Remote, Inc.:How To Thrive At Work….Wherever You Are. My work has accelerated significantly over the past year, and now I am looking for a social media coordinator: someone who can help me sustain a more consistent pace on my own website and social media profiles. It’s a part-time role, with the potential to add more hours and responsibilities over time.
This is a great job for a journalism, communications or business student, a recent grad, or someone building up their independent marketing practice. I’m fortunate to work with editors and business leaders who are trying to make a sense of a remarkable moment in the world of work—the transition to a hybrid workplace—so this an opportunity to learn how to think and work like a business journalist and author.
As the co-founder of Social Signal, one of the world’s first social media agencies, I have mentored a lot of people in the early stages of their marketing careers; people love working with me (I swear!) and I love helping these talented folks develop their skills and professional opportunities. That’s my way of saying this isn’t just another generic marketing gig: It’s a chance to open a whole bunch of new doors.
Here’s what you will do in this role:
- Draft posts for Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram
- Monitor the latest news and academic research on remote and hybrid work, and identifying the most important stories for me to read and share
- Conduct supporting research for my articles and speeches
- Add blog posts and clippings to my website and online portfolio
- Prepare a biweekly email newsletter
- Respond to incoming messages from publicists
I encourage you to apply even if you can’t check every box in the list of skills and experiences I’m looking for. The most important qualifications are that you’re smart, dependable and quick to learn any skills you don’t already have.
I’m looking for someone with…
- Experience managing social media presences on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook (it could be your own)
- Impeccable writing skills with no spelling or grammatical errors (essential)
- A thoughtful reader with the ability to distinguish between quality content that’s worth re-sharing and articles that are empty/uninteresting. (This judgment is actually the most important qualification for this job.)
- Organized, detail-oriented and dependable
- Basic image editing experience
- Experience drafting and formatting blog posts
- Quick and enthusiastic about learning new tech tools
Bonus points for…
- Experience using WordPress
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Basic video editing
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
This remote-friendly role is 6 to 10 hours a week, at $25-35/hour depending on your experience, skills and availability. (There is the potential to add additional hours over time, depending on your skills and interests.) You can be based anywhere in the US or Canada, as long as you can work at least three weekday shifts a week (so you can help me sustain a cadence of M-F posting and engagement.)
To apply, email email@example.com with your résumé. Your email or cover letter should tell me why you’re interested in this position and what makes you a great fit, and include a link to at least one social media presence (your own, or one you’ve managed) that reflects the way you write/post.
The position will close February 25th but I will review applications as I receive them, and may hire before the closing date if I find the right person, so please apply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for your interest!