If you’ve launched a Twitter account for a company or project, you’ve faced the same problem we’ve got here at Social Signal: how do I translate all the follows and followers on my individual account into a set of follows and followers on our Social Signal account?
There’s no way to move my followers to @socialsignal, except by renaming my @awsamuel account, and then what would I use to twitter personally? What I can do is get Social Signal to follow the same people I’m following personally; that will give me an easy way to get into a conversation with my new @socialsignal hat on, and encourage them to follow our @socialsignal account too.
But it’s not that easy to copy all your follows to a new account, either. Here’s the obvious — and painful — way:
- Login to Twitter using your new corporate account
- Visit the list of followers on your personal account (e.g. http://twitter.com/awsamuel/followers)
- Click on the follow button underneath each username, preferably while watching TV and holding a strong drink in your other hand
- Visit the list of friends (people you’re following) on your personal account (e.g. http://twitter.com/awsamuel/friends)
- Refresh your drink
- Click on the follow button underneath each username for your friends
- Repeat steps 2-6 for each user account you want to integrate with your new corporate account
- Regard each of the people you’re following on your new account with a vague, simmering resentment that they put you to so much trouble
Now, the easy way:
- Login to Tweetake using your personal account and password, and select “friends”. Click “get ‘em” and your friends will be exported to CSV. Do the same thing for “followers”.
- Take each dowloaded CSV file and open in Excel. Copy & paste the Username column into a plaintext file.
- Using Twitterator, enter the username and password for your corporate account, and copy & paste the list of usernames in your plaintext file. Click “submit”, and then be a tiny bit patient.
Twitterator popped some glitchy messages, but Social Signal is now following 700 more people. Hi, y’all — if you’ve been enjoying the Tweets Rob & I have posted as @awsamuel and @robcottingham, we hope you’ll follow @socialsignal to get our most useful and amusing insights.
First posted on April 4,2009